Having working smoke detectors in your homes is one of the easiest, least expensive life saving ways to protect your family. Read the story below to see another example of how a smoke detector can save your life
December 29, 2008
CCOUNTY, GA (WALB) - A smoke alarm helped save the life of a 63-year-old Decatur County man.
Ashes and soot are what's left of David Smith's house. Around 3 am Sunday, Smith woke up to what he thought was the sound of his alarm clock.
It was actually his smoke detector. Smith has sleep apnea and sleeps with a mask and oxygen, so it's hard to hear or smell.
When he realized his home was on fire he jumped out the window.
He's okay and is staying with relatives. Smith says he doesn't have nearly enough insurance to cover everything he lost.